The Gathering Place is a family friendly sports and fitness center that has something for everyone. Our 82,000 square foot complex features three basketball courts, indoor soccer field, cardio and weight rooms, indoor running/walking track, and more!
“May your entire spirit, soul and body be kept blameless until the day of Christ Jesus.”
– 1 Thessalonians 5:23
Our vision is "to impact, transform, and serve the world through faith, sport, and fitness one person at a time." We do this through:
- A warm friendly, family-oriented atmosphere
- Outstanding fitness instructors, trainers, classes, and equipment
- Recreational leagues for youth and adults
- Special events and programs geared to meet the deepest needs of people
We want each person to better experience the "abundant life" that Jesus promised in John 10:10, while at the same time being genuinely involved in serving our community.
Fusion Sports and Fitness
“Fusion Sports and Fitness” is the Community Church of Greenwood’s Sports Ministry at The Gathering Place. Why “Fusion”? The meaning of the word fusion symbolizes what we desire to see happen through our sports ministry. Fusion is the process or transition by which substances join together to form a stronger nucleus. Through Fusion Sports and Fitness, our goal is to see this happen on multiple fronts…
First of all, our sports ministry intends to fuse faith and sports. Church and sport represent two of the world’s largest people groups. While sport breeds many positive traits such as determination, discipline, and commitment, there is an endless need for fusing character in the lives of sportspeople (i.e. steroid abuse, domestic violence, sexual assaults, egotism, racism, peer pressures, etc). The Christian faith fosters character at the highest level, and provides a strong foundation to build a solid life both now, and for eternity.
Secondly we desire to fuse church and community. CCG’s vision, and one of our main priorities through The GP is to fuse strategic relationships and partnerships in order to strategically serve the local sports community. We aim to train coaches to coach, and athletes to compete, with a higher purpose….developing them athletically, socially, personally, and spiritually.
Thirdly, we believe that through sport, the message of Jesus can impact culture by fusing people cross culturally. Sport is a universal language that shapes culture, and transcends social, political and ethnic barriers. We intend to impact cultures via our unique local and global partnerships and resources (see www.globalsportschaplaincy.org). Scroll down to read more about how Fusion’s strategies build a solid nucleus in the lives of our participants and partnerships.
Click here for our Fusion Newsletter, with exciting ministry information, updates, and life changing occurrences!
The Gathering Place
1. Offer quality sports and fitness programs that induce both athletic and spiritual maturity
2. Develop our participants’ knowledge of the Christian faith while offering quality sports and fitness experiences.
3. Encourage our participants to share their Christian experience with others
4. Equip our participants to serve our community through our sports leagues and fitness classes
5. Inspire our participants to serve Christ, each other, and the less privileged
6. Empower our participants to build bridges between church and sport
7. Collaborate with ministries at CCG and other organizations in the community for unique sports ministry opportunities
8. Create a Christ focused friendly environment that encourages safety, fun, and community with others
1. Engage the community through our sports leagues and fitness classes
2. Love our participants unconditionally and constructively as Christ loves us
3. Give our participants a broader awareness or deeper knowledge of Christ through interaction, mentorship, devotions, and discipleship
4. Connect our participants to others in a small group setting and provide them with intentional, spiritually based relationships
5. Equip our participants for ministry to others through leadership training
6. Release our participants to serve others through local and international sports mission
1. To build and multiply the church body (1 Corinthians 12:14-26)
2. To serve and reach the community (Matthew 28:19)
3. To bear lasting fruit (John 15:16)